Sunday, June 23, 2013

Welcome to my pocket, CGM.

Today I write about a personal experience that in some ways relates to my experience this summer. This weekend I decided that one piece of technology around my waist was not enough and elected to start using a Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor. I had previously used the Minimed CGM a few years ago, but for multiple reasons became to resent my CGM and therefore my pump, as the two are combined within the same machine. The insertion of the sensor was extremely painful, the readings of my blood sugar were always off, and it would begin to siren during squash practice when I needed it most as it was away from my waist. Each time I would wear it instead of collecting data of blood sugars and feeling safer sleeping through the night after exercise, I would want to hurl my pump across the room. Having a bad relationship with your insulin pump is not good as you grow more resistant to even using it. So I decided to save my pump from personal destruction and stop using the sensor. 

It wasn't until I attended the Students with Diabetes Conference this past month that I was reminded of the new technology that has evolved within the past few years that I stopped using my Minimed sensor. In this time, Dexcom has created a new separate CGM that is not only more accurate, but it is less painful, and has nothing to do with my insulin pump. Yes, there are cons to this machine, another "patch" on my stomach and have to have yet another "beeper" within 20 feet of me, but I can sleep peacefully knowing that the alarm will sound if I go too high or too low. It is hard to describe the feeling of trying to fall asleep after you have a dinner out with friends hours before knowing that the food might cause you to feel ill in the middle of the night or trying to sleep after a long squash practice that afternoon knowing it is possible that you could wake up in sweats from dreaming of falling down stairs with a dangerously low blood sugar. I am extremely thankful for Students with Diabetes for exposing me to this piece of technology and helping me remove the painful scab that my old experiences with my CGM created. Even after 18 years, I am continually inspired from others to be healthier, so thank you thank you!

This whole process has taught me the importance of not being stubborn. It is easy to get used to a routine, just like it is easy to get used to having blood sugars in the 200's all day. When that becomes normal, it is hard to consider anything else as normal. However, I am hopeful that this CGM will help me show that 130 can be not only more "normal", but also more healthy and easy to maintain. Similar to starting a new job or journey in your life, you have to be adaptable to change and willing to do something that you might have rejected before in your life. If we get too stuck in our own ways, we eliminate our ability to change and grow.

With the CGM, I am able to see trends in my blood sugars enabling me to change my insulin rates if need be. Similarly, it is important to take time to reflect on your day, work week, or project and see what can be adjusted and tweaked for the future. I used to think that this process was very self deprecating, as with diabetes there is always room for improvement, always something that you haven't done properly, but it must be viewed as constructively learning. I think it is imperative that interns and new employees use every opportunity as a chance to learn and become a better worker. 

I have only been wearing this for about a day, and while I am enjoying it thus far, I have zero idea of how what my relationship will be with in tomorrow, next week, or in the fall at school. I am hopeful that it will make me healthier and that I will experience less lows and highs. Similarly with any work, it is important to keep a balance in life. As this is a constant reminder of numbers, diabetes, and technology, I probably won't wear it everyday, but then again maybe I will! 



No comments:

Post a Comment