Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Making a Difference!

I have immediately been put to work at Novo and I am already feeling like I am making a difference in the Medical Writing area of the Statistical Analysts and Communication department. This area is so different than anything I ever thought I would do and I am enjoying immersing myself in "uncharted waters"!
I have mainly been working on a non-interventional survey on hemophilia patients, which they call HERO. This survey is different in that it asks patients and their parents about how haemophilia impacts their lives, similar to many surveys I have taken about diabetes. It is the largest study that has been conducted at Novo in quite some time, and I have had the pleasure of editing the 1800 pg beast! Let me say that I will now look at all of the research articles I read at school very differently after this experience! I have been busy checking all of the links in the Table of Contents and all of the footnotes, and links to the tables to ensure that there are no discrepancies among them. Usually trials go through 3 reviews, but HERO is in it's 6th and hopefully review, as changes are continually made. It has been a lot of work at the computer, but I am learning that this is what goes into publishing a trial. I was able to get through the table of contents and all of the Tables and figures relatively quickly, so I continued to ask for more work. The publisher was shocked to see how fast I was at it, and this made me both excited and nervous that she thought I wasn't doing an adequate job. So I continued to double check my work and ensure that I was being thorough!
I also have a new appreciation for people who work 9-5 everyday... as I have been very tired and can't imagine having a family to feed and  keep track of on top of work!
It has been a great start to the summer! I know that I will be not only a changed employee by the end, but also a changed person!

No comments:

Post a Comment