Friday, June 14, 2013

First Post

I've never considered myself much of a blogger, or writer for that matter, but as a part of receiving a Students with Diabetes internship this summer, I am required to write a blog about my experiences. I usually resort to twitter or an extensive photo library to capture memories and feelings, so I don't know how I will be as a blogger. A few years ago I turned to diabetes blogs as a way to seek support, and learn from others like me out there in cyber world that happened to be experiencing the same troubles, challenges, and triumphs that living with diabetes poses. I never knew that diabetes had this whole big world out there on the Internet. As much as it was therapeutic for me to read blogs, I assume it was equally if not more meaningful to write their own experiences. I am hoping that although others will have to read this, that I will use this blog for person and my own diabetes growth. Hitting my 18th anniversary this June, I still feel like I am overcoming new obstacles everyday. I think I could write a book about how diabetes has made me into who I am as a person, for better or for worse- as I continue to live with type 1, I am realizing what a crazy disease condition whatever it is and how it truly influences all aspects of a person's life: school, work, athletics, eating, romance, sleeping, literally everything! However, I feel so lucky to have grown from this condition and find positive aspects and not solely dwell on the pain, needles, and frustration that it also encompasses. Finding Students with Diabetes on a random google search has changed my life and caused me to think that maybe someday I can have an impact on other people's lives who have diabetes. I am extremely thankful for that as I used to push away my diabetes-cover it up so I could just be thought of as "normal", whatever that is. However, I am realizing it isn't selfish or going the easy route to stick with what you know best. This internship experience is opening my eyes that there is a need for passionate, caring professionals in the diabetes community. And furthermore, as I learn to care for others with type 1, in so doing, I am taking better control of my own diabetes. After 18 years, I still learn new things about diabetes everyday and have to continue to remind myself that my health is the most important thing. Because there is never a day off with diabetes, this can get tiring, and so I hope to continue to learn more about how to care for my diabetes while I also learn how I can impact others with type 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment